About this Recipe
Who knew? Baobab powder has powers beyond those well documented health-giving properties we love so much. We’ve discovered that it gives chocolate a smooth and creamy finish, much like chocolate mousse in a cold drink form. To fully enjoy this Bao-choco treat one needs to get the ratio of cacao to baobab just right. We think we’ve got it, and can’t wait for you to try it. It’s exceptionally delicious with whipped coconut cream for an extra-delicious gourmet treat!
Especially developed and photographed for EcoProducts by Candice Douglas of the Social Post, this is a tried and tested recipe that focuses on exceptional taste using locally produced natural ingredients wherever possible.
- 1 cup milk (use coconut milk or almond milk for a dairy-free version)
- 2 cups ice
- 3 heaped Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 heaped tsp baobab powder
- 2-3 tsp xylitol or honey dissolved in a splash of hot water
- Pinch salt (we use Oryx Desert Salt)
Put all ingredients into a blender.
Blitz and enjoy.
Note: if some separation occurs, simply stir with a spoon or straw.
Gourmet Extra-rich & Creamy Version with Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can coconut cream guar gum free, and refrigerated overnight
- ½ cup castor sugar or xylitol
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chill the coconut cream in the fridge overnight. (An important step!)
- Chill a mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. (Not vital, but helpful.)
- Turn the coconut cream can over slowly, and open ‘bottom side up’.
- Pour the liquid out, and save for smoothies.
- Scrape the coconut cream out, and whisk on a medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add sweetener and vanilla and whisk for another minute.
- Place a dollop of cream on top of the cold chocolate with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Refrigerate leftover cream in a sealed container.